For many years now, college students have been experiencing a mental health crisis. The events of the past year have only worsened this crisis, and according to experts, it’s not getting better. Transitioning from adolescence into adulthood while simultaneously transitioning from high-school to university living is never going to be easy, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be meaningful and worthwhile. Dr. Nic Hooper, an expert in clinical psychology, wrote The Unbreakable Student as a guide to help students navigate these transitions in meaningful, value-informed ways. On this episode of Psychologists Off the Clock, Nic and Debbie discuss the unique challenges university students face and how values can help students overcome those challenges. Join us for practical advice on embracing your university adventure today!
Listen and Learn:
- Debbie and Diana’s thoughts about the unique challenges of the college student phase of life
- The sweet story behind Nic’s book, The Unbreakable Student
- Nic’s evidence-informed list of the unique challenges that arise during the transition from adolescence to adulthood
- Six areas of wellbeing and how they impact university students
- Practical, evidence-based, advice for overcoming common university hurdles like procrastination, test anxiety, and more!
- Self-care strategies for the high-achieving student and how to talk about self-care to the beloved high-achievers in your life
- Practical, expert-approved, advice on how to fully embrace your university adventure
- The one piece of insightful advice Nic would give to his younger self
- Buy Nic’s books, The Unbreakable Student: 6 Rules for Staying Sane at University, The Acceptance and Commitment Diary (published annually), and The Research Journey of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
- Check out Nic’s website nichooper.co.uk, and follow him on twitter @nichooper7!
- Attend Debbie’s webinar on ACT for Burnout!
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Nic Hooper:
Dr. Nic Hooper is an expert in clinical psychology and a senior lecturer at the University of the West of England in Bristol. He has authored many scientific articles, book chapters and books, including The Acceptance and Commitment Diary (published annually) and The Research Journey of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Nic is also a co-director of Connect, which is an organization that offers a psychological wellbeing curriculum for primary school children. In 2017, inspired by his students, Nic began to write a book of life advice to his son, Max, which was to be given to him on his eighteenth birthday. Over time, that book slowly transformed into The Unbreakable Student. Visit his website, nichooper.co.uk, and follow him on twitter @nichooper7 for updates, resources, and more!
- Episode 189. Imposter Syndrome with Jill and Debbie
- Episode 193. Heal Unhealthy Striving with Diana and Yael
- Episode 182. Do More With Less: How to Stretch in Work and Life with Scott Sonenshein
- Episode 172. Performing Under Pressure with Sian Beilock
- Episode 65. Self-care, Kindness, and Living Well with Kelly Wilson