We all want to live a fun and fulfilling life, but the hustle and bustle of everyday life can leave us feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. That’s why it’s so important to make time for fun, even as an adult. From reducing stress to better relationships and improving mental and physical health, carving out time for fun activities can have a transformative impact on many aspects of our lives.
Mike Rucker, an organizational psychologist, is here to share his best practices for incorporating fun habits into our day-to-day lives. Illustrating scientific evidence from his book, The Fun Habit: How the Pursuit of Joy and Wonder Can Change Your Life, we discover why fun is beneficial and what fun habits you can create to make life more enjoyable. So, let’s dive in and learn why fun isn’t just for kids—it’s an essential part of adult life too.
Listen and Learn:
- Fun: what is it all about?
- What makes fun different from happiness
- Why is it beneficial for us to prioritize fun as busy adults?
- Finding time for fun
- The importance of reminiscing on fun experiences
- The question of friendship or parenting
- How to create and maintain fun habits
- The Rucker-PLAY model
- How to incorporate more fun into our friendships
- To learn more about creating fun habits, visit Mike’s website
- Visit the POTC Bookshop to purchase The Fun Habit: How the Pursuit of Joy and Wonder Can Change Your Life
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych, including Yael’s new book, Work, Parent, Thrive!
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Mike Rucker
Dr. Mike Rucker is an organizational psychologist and charter member of the International Positive Psychology Association whose work has been published in the International Journal of Workplace Health Management and Nutrition Research. His ideas about fun and health have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Fast Company, The Telegraph, Psychology Today, Forbes, Vox, Thrive Global, mindbodygreen, and more. Named one of ten digital changemakers by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, he currently serves as a senior leader at Active Wellness.
- 99. Make the Most of Your Time with Laura Vanderkam
- 130. Working Less with Alex Pang
- 192. Happier With Tal Ben-Shahar
- 247. Find Your Unicorn Space with Eve Rodsky
- 251. Wonder with Frank Keil
- 271. Cultivating Friendships in Adulthood Featuring Adam Dorsay