In this episode, Yael is joined for a discussion of Taoism by What’s This Tao All About podcast hosts, Tod Perry and Dr. Carl Totton. Join us for a lively discussion about how ancient wisdom of Tao can help us find greater balance between work and family roles.
Listen and learn:
- New ways to think about the conflict between work and family roles
- How Taoists define yin and yang and how the balance of these forces support greater balance
- How to find moments of quiet in the busyness of modern working parent life
- How Taoist principles can help us find greater happiness
About Tod Perry and Dr. Carl Totton
Tod Perry is head writer at Upworthy and has a history of doing podcasting, producing shows for Howard Stern and Adam Corolla. Tod became interested in Taoism after reading The Tao of Pooh (by Benjamin Hoff) in his 20’s. Several years later, Tod sought out podcast resources to revitalize his spirituality, but was unable to find something that spoke to his needs. So, he decided to start his own podcast, and What’s This Tao All About was born.
Dr. Carl Totton is a clinical psychologist and founder of the Taoist Institute in Los Angeles, where he offers Chinese internal health and martial arts instruction. Dr. Totton has studied Chinese healing and martial arts for over 45 years and is certified as a qigong and martial arts grandmaster. He has worked in diverse clinical settings including private practice, hospitals, community mental health clinics, and schools. Dr. Totton is listed in the US Martial Arts Hall of Fame and has taught Taoism to many members of the film, music, and entertainment industries.
On What’s This Tao All About, Tod and Dr. Carl Totton offer a lighthearted and fun look at the ancient wisdom of Taoism. They explore the meaning of ancient texts and wisdom and apply these ideas to problems of modern living. Most importantly, they keep it real and really funny.
Resources from Tod Perry and Dr. Carl Totton:
- What’s This Tao All About Podcast
- A Few Particularly Relevant Episodes:
- What’s This Tao All About, Episode #7 on Balance and Meditation
- What’s This Tao All About, Episode #31 on The Tao of Pooh
- What’s This Tao All About, Episode #40 on Balance
- The Taoist Institute, Los Angeles
A Few Books to Introduce You to Taoism:
- The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoof
- The Tao te Ching, Lao Tzu
- The Book of Chuang Tzu
- The Tao of Daily Life, by Derek Lin