Breaking up is hard to do, and time-stamped events (like, say, Valentine’s Day) can make the pain of a broken heart stand out even more than usual. As painful as it may feel, you’re not alone in what you’re experiencing. Join Yael and Debbie for a conversation about common responses to break-ups and how you can take steps towards healing. Join us as we draw from psychological science, clinical examples, and personal experiences to discuss practices that can help you to mend your heart.
Listen and Learn:
- Why you might have such extreme emotional responses (or not) in response to breaking up.
- How to turn towards your pain with openness and acceptance Strategies to manage the pain and prevent persistent suffering
- The role of self-compassion, forgiveness, and seeking kindness
- How to translate pain into wisdom and growth
- And, most importantly, that whatever you are experiencing, you are not alone
- How to Fix a Broken Heart by Guy Winch
- The Wisdom of a Broken Heart by Susan Pivers
- The Divorce Recovery Workbook by Mark Rye and Crystal Dea Moore
- The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path of Healing Ourselves and Our World, by Desmond Tutu
- Podcast Episodes on Grief (Bearing Unbearable Loss with Dr. Joanne Cacciatore) and Self-Compassion (Mindful Self-Compassion with Dr. Christopher Germer)
- Guided Self-Compassion Meditations from Dr. Kristen Neff