Whether you are planning a holiday dinner, a work conference, or a group therapy session, how you design your gathering has a big impact on its outcome. In this episode, Diana and Debbie use the book The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker to explore strategies to make your groups transformative. Grab a slice of pie, some people you love, and enjoy an episode all about meeting with a purpose!
Listen and Learn:
- How to use purpose to design your next party, meeting, or friends’ weekend away
- Examples of successful gatherings Diana and Debbie have designed and attended
- What group therapy teaches us about creating effective meetings
- Why Debbie is practicing “scruffy hospitality” and why Diana likes to visit her purse at parties
- Ideas to make your Thanksgiving, Winter Holiday or New Year’s celebration impactful
With the help of this episode, we hope you gather well this holiday season, and beyond!
Resources and Books Mentioned in this Episode:
- The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker
- Playing Big by Tara Mohr
- Wolf Pack: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game by Abby Wambach
- The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest by Dan Buettner
- Article on The Blue Zones Moais
- Article on Scruffy Hospitality
- The Bear That Wasn’t by Frank Tashlin
- Joss Paper Diana uses in group work
- Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy by Irvin Yalom
Sponsor: Praxis Continuing Education
Portland, OR | February 20–23, 2020; up to 32 CE/CME credits available
Sign up with a friend to save 20% off the professional registration price!
Ep. 95. Healing Racial Trauma with Dr. Kristee Haggins
Ep. 112. Nature vs. Nature: Why Temperament Matters with co-hosts Debbie Sorensen and Yael Schonbrun