Influence is power, but it’s a power not reserved just for the few. In fact, each of us has the power to impact those around us. Because of this, it’s incredibly important that we meaningfully hold and use that power for good! Dr. Zoe Chance, author of INFLUENCE IS YOUR SUPERPOWER, is a writer, teacher, researcher, and climate philanthropist obsessed with the topic of interpersonal influence. On this episode of POTC, Zoe and Yael discuss how to use your personal values to change the world for the better. Join us in this episode to learn important differences between influence and manipulation, strategies for influencing your child, practical advice for navigating negotiations with difficult people, and more!
Listen and Learn:
- How Yael and Jill use their values to change the world for the better
- Zoe’s expert definition of influence
- Important differences between influence and manipulation
- Expert-approved tips and tricks for those afraid to exert their influence
- What parents, CEOs, central bankers, and princess have in common
- The secrets to influencing your child
- Why compromising can be an optimal outcome
- Practical advice for negotiating with even the most difficult or powerful of people
- Evidence-based strategies for listening to someone you disagree with (even when the disagreement makes you want to turn inward)
- Zoe walks us through her Empathy Challenge
- Grab your copy of Zoe’s book, INFLUENCE IS YOUR SUPERPOWER!
- Read Adam Grant’s Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don’t Know
- Learn about False Polarization Bias
- Learn more about Naomi Eisenber’s research on social rejection and pain
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Zoe Chance:
Dr. Zoe Chance is a writer, teacher, researcher, and climate philanthropist obsessed with the topic of interpersonal influence. She earned her doctorate from Harvard and now teaches the most popular course at Yale School of Management, which is the basis for her international bestseller, INFLUENCE IS YOUR SUPERPOWER. Her framework for behavior change is the foundation for Google’s global food policy, and before academia, she managed a $200 million segment of the Barbie brand at Mattel. Today, Zoe teaches smart, kind people to raise money for charity, get elected to political office, fund startups, start movements, save lives, find love, negotiate great deals and job offers, and even get along better with their kids. In other words, she helps people to use their superpower of influence as a force for good.
- Episode 51. The Psychology of Political Division with Yael and Debbie
- Episode 197. Influence and Adventure with Jon Levy
- Episode 196. The Neuroscience of Marketing with Matt Johnson and Prince Ghuman
- Episode 180. Choosing to Live Your Values with Benji Schoendorff
- Episode 234. The Power of Us with Dominic Packer
- Episode 252. Getting the Help You Need, with Us