How can we, as helpers, give the best care to our clients, loved ones, and ourselves during this unprecedented time? We’re being called to live through something as massive as a global pandemic while simultaneously helping others experience and process it too. In this episode, Jill speaks with Harvard Medical School psychologist and popular TED speaker, Dr. Susan David, about the importance of getting back to the basics when we feel as if we really have nothing left to give.
Listen and Learn:
- What is “gentle acceptance” and why it is so important right now
- How to optimize the small moments
- Why achieving and striving aren’t helpful right now
- What’s structure got to do with it? Striking the balance between structure and letting go
- The power of letting ourselves be cared for
About Dr. Susan David:
Susan David, Ph.D. is one of the world’s leading management thinkers and an award-winning Harvard Medical School psychologist. Her new #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling book, Emotional Agility based on the concept Harvard Business Review heralded as a Management Idea of the Year and winner of the Thinkers50 Breakthrough Idea Award, describes the psychological skills critical to thriving in times of complexity and change. Susan’s TED Talk on the topic went viral with over 1 million views in its first week of release. She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and guest on national radio and television. Named on the Thinkers50 global list of the top management thinkers, Susan is a sought-after keynote speaker and consultant, with clients that include the World Economic Forum, EY, United Nations, Google, Microsoft, NASDAQ, and many other national and multinational organizations. Her focus is on defining and executing effective strategy, especially in the areas of engagement, high-performance leadership, and culture change. Susan is the CEO of Evidence Based Psychology, on the faculty at Harvard Medical School, a Cofounder of the Institute of Coaching (a Harvard Medical School/McLean affiliate), and on the Scientific Advisory Boards of Thrive Global and Virgin Pulse. Susan lives outside of Boston with her family.
- Checking in with Susan David, a podcast with TED related to pandemic coping
- Emotional Agility by Susan David, Ph.D.
- The Gift and Power of Emotional Courage TED Talk by Dr. Susan David
- Emotional Agility Quiz, Dr. Susan David’s online quiz with a free 10-page personalized report offering specific strategies to help you become more emotionally agile