Happy New Year, dear listeners! As we begin this new year, it’s a great time to start developing some new healthy habits. It may seem like a challenge, but we can do it! Let’s make this year a time for taking care of ourselves and striving for the best version of ourselves.
If you’re serious about your health but don’t feel the urge to jump out of bed, drag yourself to the gym, and reward your progress with a kale smoothie, this episode is for you! We all know what constitutes a healthy lifestyle, but it can be hard to stay consistent, especially when it feels like a chore!
Join Debbie for an engaging discussion with Dr. Dayna Lee-Baggley, author of Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life….Even if You Don’t Want To, about evidence-based strategies on how to overcome the internal obstacles that make behavior change hard, and how to sustain lifelong healthy habits.
Listen and Learn:
- Why healthy habits violate the hard-wiring of our “caveman brain”
- How linking health habits to values can make them more meaningful and build motivation
- The benefits of focusing on behaviors rather than outcomes to foster success
- What is a “smart goal” and how to make them work for you
- How to work with the thoughts and emotions that makes healthy habits hard
- Visit Dayna’s website: https://drleebaggley.com/about/
- Get your copy of Dayna’s book, Healthy Habits Suck: How to Get Off the Couch and Live a Healthy Life….Even if You Don’t Want To
- Listen to the interview Make the Most of Your Time with Laura Vanderkam mentioned in this episode here: https://offtheclockpsych.com/time/
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych, including Yael’s new book, Work, Parent,Thrive!
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Dayna Lee-Baggley
Dr. Dayna Lee-Baggley is a Registered Clinical Psychologist in Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta with reciprocal agreements for clients in Atlantic Canada and Quebec. For close to 15 years she worked as a Clinical Health Psychologist for medical, surgery, and cancer care units at the hospital. She has taken all this experience to open Dr. Lee-Baggley and Associates, a virtual health psychology clinic offering clinical interventions, training for healthcare providers, and educational courses on health related topics. She holds an Assistant Professor appointment in the Department of Family Medicine and a cross-appointment in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience at Dalhousie University and an Adjunct Professor appointment in the Department of Industrial and Organizational Psychology at Saint Mary’s University. She is an internationally recognized trainer in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
- 4. Habits: The Science of Behavior Change (Part 1)
- 5. From Awareness to Action: Behavior Change (Part 2)
- 43. Willpower With Kelly McGonigal
- 72. Committed Action with DJ Moran
- 132. The Joy Of Movement With Kelly McGonigal
- 167. Get Curious and Change Unhealthy Habits with Judson Brewer
- 215. How to Change with Katy Milkman
- 231. Eating Skills and Emotional Eating with Josh Hillis