Each year, more than 50 million Americans experience various types of allergies. With allergies being the 6th leading cause of chronic illness in the U.S., it’s imperative that behavioral healthcare providers be allergy-informed. Tamara Hubbard, creator of the internationally-recognized Food Allergy Counselor Directory & resource website and the Exploring Food Allergy Families podcast, is an expert in allergy-informed clinical behavioral healthcare. In this episode of POTC, Jill and Tamara discuss the psychological impacts of food allergies. Join us in this episode to learn how to effectively balance risk and live a values-based life with food allergies!
Listen and Learn:
- Jill and Debbie discuss their personal and professional experiences with food allergies
- Tamara’s masterful explanation of food allergies and their widespread impacts on mental health and other domains
- Expert-approved moves for figuring out your own food allergies
- When you should (and should not) be worried about you and your loved ones’ reactions to food
- How to balance risk in order to have a less restrictive lifestyle that better serves your values
- Tamara’s evidence-based advice for dealing with folks who aren’t understanding about food allergies
- All about Tamara’s podcast (Exploring Food Allergy Families) and its most recent guest, Jo Frost, the Supernanny!
- Listen to Tamara’s podcast, Exploring Food Allergy Families!
- Check out all the free resources and worksheets on Tamara’s Food Allergy Directory & Resource Website.
- Read Tamara’s blog and sign up for her newsletter.
- Check out the American College of Allergy Asthma and Immunology and Food Allergy Research & Education
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Tamara Hubbard:
Tamara Hubbard is a family therapy-trained licensed clinical professional in private practice, providing evidence-based therapeutic support for women, mothers, and those managing food allergies and allergic diseases. The creator of the internationally-recognized Food Allergy Counselor Directory & resource website and the Exploring Food Allergy Families podcast, Tamara has been named one of Spokin’s Top 100 women in food allergies. She has been interviewed for articles focused on therapy or food allergies for Forbes, NPR, Business Insider, Romper, Real Simple Magazine, Science News for Students, Nature, Undark, and the American Counseling Association’s online magazine, Counseling Today. Additionally, she’s authored articles that have been featured in Allergic Living Magazine, Coping with Asthma and Allergies Magazine and Scary Mommy. Tamara is an allied health member of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, and a founding Community Advisory Board member for the Center for Allergy and Asthma Research. Tamara’s currently working on her first book, which offers therapeutic guidance and strategies for managing the social and emotional aspects of life with food allergies.
- Episode 29. Nutritional Psychology (Part 1) – How food impacts mood, cognition and brain health with Diana and Debbie
- Episode 151. Intuitive Eating with Evelyn Tribole
- Episode 124. Nutritious Movement and Why it Matters with Katy Bowman
- Episode 111. Brave New Medicine with Cynthia Li