Setting healthy boundaries can be challenging, whether it is with someone you love or someone you dislike. Sticking with your boundaries once you set them, is also difficult. Relationship expert Nedra Tawwab, author of Set Boundaries, Find Peace, has the insight and tools you need to set boundaries so that you can thrive. In this episode, Diana and Nedra discuss strategies to overcome barriers to boundary setting so that you can set boundaries and find peace today!
Listen and Learn:
- Diana and Jill’s take on the importance of boundary setting
- Nedra’s expert definition of boundaries and explanation of how they impact mental health
- The science behind how setting healthy boundaries can provide peace and freedom from anxiety
- Practical advice on how to set boundaries with toxic individuals, narcissists, your parents, your in-laws, your children, and yourself!
- Barriers that might be affecting your ability to set a healthy boundary
- What to do with the feeling of guilt when it shows up during the boundary-setting process
- Nedra’s practical advice on how to be a clear communicator and set effective boundaries in particularly toxic dynamics
- The differences between a soft boundary and a rigid boundary (and when to be flexible with them!)
- What clear boundaries sound like
- The subtle differences between assertiveness, aggressiveness, and passivity
- Nedra’s take on setting ultimatums (and why they aren’t always a bad thing)
- Why it’s important to set boundaries with your kids and how to teach them to set their own
- Nedra’s personal experience with boundaries and how setting them has changed her life
- Nedra’s book, Set Boundaries, Find Peace: A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself
- Nedra’s website which has TONS of FREE resources including worksheets, a relationship quiz, a boundaries quiz, and Nedra’s book recommendations
- Check out co-host Diana’s workshop, An Introduction to ACT: Growing Psychological Flexibility through Acceptance, Caring, and Tiny Daily Practices on February 28th from 2pm to 5pm Pacific Standard Time
About Nedra Tawwab:
NEDRA GLOVER TAWWAB, a licensed therapist and sought-after relationship expert, has practiced relationship therapy for twelve years and is the founder and owner of the group therapy practice Kaleidoscope Counseling. She has been recently featured in The New York Times, The Guardian, Psychology Today, Self, and Vice, and has appeared on numerous podcasts, including Don’t Keep Your Day Job, Do the Thing, and Therapy for Black Girls. Tawwab runs a popular Instagram account where she shares practices, tools, and reflections for mental health and hosts weekly Q&As about boundaries and relationships. She lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, with her family. Connect with Nedra Tawwab on Instagram @nedratawwab. Find out more about her book, here.
- Episode 98. Narcissism with Dr. Avigail Lev and Dr. Robyn Walser
- Episode 174. How to Work and Parent Mindfully with Lori Mihalich-Levin
- Episode 168. Everyday Conversations: How Conversational Style Impacts Relationships with Deborah Tannen
- Episode 134. What to do When Work, Parenting, and Partnership Collide During Quarantine