Are you emotionally intelligent? Listen to Diana interview Dr. Daniel Goleman, and learn about:
- What it means to be emotionally intelligent
- Why EI trumps IQ when it comes to being a good leader
- How empathy is being impacted by current technology
- Why we should be teaching social emotional skills in our schools
- The neuroscience of meditation, and the differing benefits of different types of meditation
- Three practices the Dali Lama recommends for all of us
Emotional Intelligence involves self awareness, self control, relationship management and social awareness. Being emotionally intelligent can make you a better leader, parent, friend and partner. In this episode, Diana talks with Dr. Goleman, a pioneer in the field of positive psychology, about the neuroscience of emotions and why it is important to foster emotional intelligence in kids and leaders. Dr. Goleman also explores how meditation can result in permanent trait changes so that we are better able to regulate emotions and survive an “amygdala highjack.”
About Dr. Goleman: Daniel Goleman, best known for his worldwide bestseller Emotional Intelligence, is most recently co-author of Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain and Body. A frequent speaker to businesses of all kinds and sizes, Goleman has worked with leaders around the globe, examining the way social and emotional competencies impact the bottom-line. Goleman’s articles in the Harvard Business Review are among the most frequently requested reprints of all time: his article there, “The Focused Leader”won the 2013 HBR McKinsey Award for best article of the year. Goleman has been ranked among the 25 most influential business leaders by several business publications including TIME and The Wall Street Journal.Apart from his writing on emotional intelligence, Goleman has written books on topics including self-deception, creativity, transparency, meditation, social and emotional learning, ecoliteracy and the ecological crisis.
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body by Daniel Goleman and Richard Davidson
- A Force For Good: The Dali Lama’s Vision For Our World by Daniel Goleman
- The Daniel Goleman Emotional Intelligence Coaching and Training Programs
- Additional Books on EI Competencies, Leadership, and Teamwork by Daniel Goleman
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock. We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note that the information in the podcast and on this site is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.