Dysfunctional family relationships can be complicated and extremely challenging to navigate, but it’s essential to remember that we have the power to change the narrative. Whether you’re dealing with overbearing or abusive parents, toxic siblings, or any other form of unhealthy behavior, it can be difficult to know how to break free from these patterns and create more positive connections.
This is where our guest Nedra Tawwab, a renowned therapist, New York Times bestselling author, and relationship expert, comes in. We are thrilled to welcome Nedra back to Psychologist’s Off the Clock to discuss her latest book, Drama Free. A Guide to Managing Unhealthy Family Relationships.
With her relatable and practical guide, Nedra provides valuable tips on identifying and managing unhealthy family relationships that may be causing distress and turmoil in your life.
Her expertise will empower you to take control of your life, move away from toxic behavior, and build stronger, healthier connections. Remember that you have the strength and resilience to overcome any obstacles. Don’t let your past define your future!
Listen and Learn:
- Nedra introduces us to what unhealthy patterns of a dysfunctional family can look like
- How to identify dysfunctional patterns within your own family
- How childhood dysfunction can impact people and their adult relationships
- Why trust issues commonly result from dysfunctional family relationships
- The importance of boundary setting, especially for those who come from dysfunctional environments
- The line between enabling versus helping
- The most common obstacles to making changes within dysfunctional relationships
- Strategies for boundary setting
- Nedra’s advice for people handling the guilt and the grief that comes with change within a family system
- How to handle pushback when dealing with unhealthy patterns of behavior
- Visit Nedra’s website
- Order your copy of Nedra’s book Drama Free: A Guide to Managing Unhealthy Family Relationships
- Learn more about Group Therapy practice Kaleidoscope Counseling
- Follow Nedra on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
About Nedra Glover Tawwab
Nedra Glover Tawwab, MSW, LCSW, is a New York Times best-selling author, licensed therapist, and sought-after relationship expert. She has practiced relationship therapy for 15 years and is the founder and owner of the group therapy practice, Kaleidoscope Counseling. Every day she helps people create healthy relationships by teaching them how to implement boundaries. Her philosophy is that a lack of boundaries and assertiveness underlie most relationship issues, and her gift is helping people create healthy relationships with themselves and others.
Nedra earned her undergraduate and graduate degrees from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. She has additional certifications in working with families and couples and in perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, plus advanced training for counseling adults who’ve experienced childhood emotional neglect.
Nedra has appeared as an expert on Red Table Talk, The Breakfast Club, Good Morning America, and CBS Morning Show to name a few. Her work has been highlighted in The New York Times, The Guardian, and Vice and has appeared on numerous podcasts, including Good Life Project, Sofia with an F, and Therapy For Black Girls. She runs a popular Instagram account where she shares practices, tools, and reflections for mental health and hosts weekly Q&As.
- 168. Everyday Conversations: How Conversational Style Impacts Relationships with Deborah Tannen
- 179. How to Be An Adult in Relationships with Dave Richo
- 186. Set Boundaries Find Peace with Nedra Tawwab
- 263. Relationships with Emotionally Immature People with Lindsay Gibson
- 264. Raising Intuitive Eaters with Sumner Brooks and Amee Severson
- 292. Adult Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers with Stephanie Kriesberg
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion