It’s incredibly easy (and completely normal) to become caught in the heat of the moment and lash out when arguing with our partners. However, it’s not always the most functional behavior, and it almost never aligns with our values. Michaela Thomas, author of The Lasting Connection, is a clinical psychologist who has centered her career around helping women develop love and compassion for themselves and their partners. On this episode of POTC, Jill and Michaela discuss the key elements to building lasting connections and provide evidence-based strategies for incorporating them into your relationships. Listen in to this episode to discover the top reasons modern couples disconnect, engage in a real-time compassion-flow practice, learn strategies for identifying your relationship values, and much more today!
Listen and Learn:
- Jill and Yael’s thoughts on incorporating ACT, CFT, Behavioral Therapy for couples
- The three elements that help build lasting connections
- Expert-approved strategies for identifying when you’re too “hot” or “cold” in your relationship (and practical advice for turning that flame up or down!)
- Three critical directions your compassion should be flowing in order to build a lasting, loving connection
- Jill and Michaela engage in a real-time exercise for allowing compassion to flow in from others
- Evidence-based strategies for moving from high conflict into compassion
- Dr. Thomas provides the top reasons modern couples disconnect
- Tips and tricks for identifying your relationship values as a couple
- Grab your copy of Michaela’s book, The Lasting Connection!
- Listen to Michaela’s podcast, Pause Purpose Play.
- Take Michaela’s online course, The Compassionate Couple
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Michaela Thomas:
Michaela Thomas is a Clinical Psychologist, couples therapist and founder of the private practice The Thomas Connection. Michaela specialises in perfectionism, helping high-striving women let go of the pressure of perfection, to find the balance to burn bright, not burn out. She has authored the book The Lasting Connection – develop love and compassion for yourself and your partner. Michaela can be found on her Pause Purpose Play podcast and on Instagram under @the_thomas_connection. Her online course The Compassionate Couple has been described as ‘life changing’.
- Episode 245. Family Firm with Emily Oster
- Episode 206. Fair Play Part 2 with Eve Rodsky
- Episode 168. Everyday Conversations: How Conversational Style Impacts
- Relationships with Deborah Tannen