Striving for what you want in life can be difficult, especially when you find yourself in a stagnant situation or lack direction. However, with the assistance of Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman, a Cognitive Scientist, and Humanistic Psychologist, you can learn how to implement the steps necessary to achieve your ambitions.
Take a journey with us as we explore the life-changing work of Dr. Scott and Jordyn H Feingold in their new book, Choose Growth: A Workbook for Transcending Trauma, Fear, and Self-Doubt. This episode is full of empowering insights that will help you unlock your potential and create an inspiring new path for yourself. We talk about all kinds of exciting topics from reaching our goals through nontraditional paths, the growth that comes from embracing uncomfortable experiences, and the importance of finding the harmony between overusing and underusing your strengths.
Listen and Learn:
- Introduction to Scott and his many accolades
- Scott’s experience being featured in Oprah Winfrey’s ‘The Life You Want Class’
- Did Scott foresee bringing evidence-based psychology to such a broad audience at the start of his career?
- Scott’s tips on achieving goals through non-traditional paths
- The reason Scott wrote “Choose Growth” now
- The importance of internal vs external locus of control
- Reimagining Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- The value in enduring uncomfortable experiences for growth and development
- The ways tribalism can hinder our growth and keep us stuck
- Passive, constructive responses are the worst way to respond to somebody’s good news
- Healthy boundary setting
- The link between healthy self-esteem and narcissism
- Finding the balance between overusing and underusing our strengths
- Is it necessary to screen everyone for mental health?
- Article about Jonathan Haidt “tribalism” incident
- Scott’s website
- Yael and Brad Stulberg’s article about Therapy versus Coaching
About Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman
Scott Barry Kaufman is a cognitive scientist and humanistic psychologist exploring the mind, creativity, and the depths of human potential. He is a professor at Columbia University and founder and director of the Center for the Science of Human Potential. Scott hosts the super popular The Psychology Podcast and uses his research to help all kinds of minds live a creative, fulfilling, and self-actualized life. He is the author and editor of 10 books including his newest, Choose Growth: A Workbook for Transcending Trauma, Fear, and Self-Doubt that he co-authored with Jordyn Feingold and that we’ll be discussing today. Welcome Scott!
- 34. Strengths, Goal Setting, and Grit with Alexis Karris Bachik
- 51. The Psychology of Political Division with Debbie and Yael
- 192. Happier with Tal Ben-Shahar
- 200. Growing Grit with Angela Duckworth
- 227. The Science of Happy with Sonja Lyubomirsky
- 234. The Power of Us with Dominic Packer