Pandemic, online school, social distancing, climate change… this is an especially difficult time for adolescents, who are already in a transitional time of life. Dr. Louise Hayes is one of the world’s foremost experts on using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Adolescents. She joins us on the podcast for the second time, to talk about her new book for adolescents, and share her thoughts on helping adolescents cope with today’s challenges.
Listen and Learn
- The unique challenges of the pandemic for adolescents, and how they can cope.
- Why losses associated with the pandemic, even seemingly small ones, are real.
- Why we should all be listening to what adolescents have to say.
- About the concept of “active hope.”
- Louise Hayes’s thoughts about bullying and procrastination.
- How to take small steps toward self-care during difficult times.
- How to go from “zombieland” to “vitalityland.”
About Dr. Louise Hayes
Dr. Louise Hayes is a clinical psychologist who is well known for her work using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for young people in schools and clinical settings. She is a former president of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science. Dr. Hayes is an author, international speaker, a senior fellow with The University of Melbourne and Orygen Youth Health, and a peer-reviewed Acceptance and Commitment Therapy/Training (ACT) trainer. Dr. Hayes is the co-author of the The Thriving Adolescent: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Positive Psychology to Help Teens Manage Emotions, Achieve Goals, and Build Connection. Her newest book is called Your Life, Your Way: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Skills to Help Teens Manage Emotions and Build Resilience. Together with Joseph Ciarrochi, she conducts research and treatment development; her latest work uses a DNA-v (Discoverer-Noticer-Advisor-Values) treatment model for young people. Louise is also an active humanitarian, taking mental health professionals into the Himalaya to developing their mindfulness skills and raising funds for poor children in remote Nepal.
- Your Life, Your Way: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Skills to Help Teens Manage Emotions and Build Resilience https://amzn.to/3iTWEva
- Praxis DNA-V online training with Louise Hayes: https://www.praxiscet.com/events/dna-v/
- The Thriving Adolescent: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Positive Psychology to Help Teens Manage Emotions, Achieve Goals, and Build Connection https://amzn.to/31fZvsu
- Sherry Turkle Reclaiming Conversation https://amzn.to/3laC3VJ
- Helping Adolescents Thrive with Dr. Louise Hayes: https://www.offtheclockpsych.com/podcast/helping-adolescents-thrive
- Parental Burnout with Dr. Lisa Coyne: https://www.offtheclockpsych.com/podcast/parental-burnout