Having a narcissistic parent while growing up can be incredibly difficult and painful. The emotional instability of the relationship can be detrimental to one’s sense of self-worth, making it hard to trust others and form healthy relationships. Furthermore, the lack of consistent support and nurturing can lead to feelings of insecurity and the fear of being abandoned.
Be inspired by our guest Dr. Stephanie Kriesberg, a clinical psychologist and author of ‘Adult Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers: Quiet the Critical Voice in Your Head, Heal Self-Doubt, and Live the Life You Deserve’. Through her research on narcissistic parenting, Stephanie has dedicated her work to helping adults lead healthier and happier lives. If you experienced a childhood with a narcissistic parent, let Dr. Kriesberg guide you in managing the difficulties of this complex relationship so you can live life on your own terms.
Listen and Learn:
- Stephanie’s experience working with women who are impacted by narcissistic parenting
- The significance of the relationship between daughters and mothers
- The core features of narcissism
- How narcissism impacts the parent-child dynamic
- What does gaslighting look like
- How does growing up in a home with a narcissistic mother impact other relationships within the family
- Examples of the patterns female adults who grew up with a narcissistic mother might exhibit
- The work involved in grieving the parent you had versus the parent you wanted
- Setting boundaries with a narcissistic mother
- Visit Stephanie’s website
- Buy Adult Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers: Quiet the Critical Voice in Your Head, Heal Self-Doubt, and Live the Life You Deserve at our Bookshop page
- Connect with Stephanie on Twitter, IG, and Facebook
About Dr. Stephanie Kriesberg
Dr. Stephanie Kriesberg brings over twenty-five years of experience to her practice. She has extensive training in the treatment of anxiety disorders and in the use of clinical hypnosis. Recently she was honored to be elected as President-Elect of the New England Society for Clinical Hypnosis. She is the author of the book Adult Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers: Quiet the Critical Voice in Your Head, Heal Self-doubt, and Live the Life You Deserve.
- 98. Narcissism with Avigail Lev and Robyn Walser
- 226. ACT for Perfectionism with Jennifer Kemp
- 250. Anxiety and Perfectionism with Clarissa Ong
- 257. The Gift of Being Ordinary with Ron Siegel
- 263. Relationships with Emotionally Immature People with Lindsay Gibson
- 274. Quarterlife: The Search for Self in Early Adulthood with Satya Doyle Byock