In this inspirational episode, Diana interviews Dr. Steven Hayes, co-developer of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), about the future of evidence-based therapy. Dr. Hayes describes the core processes involved in effective change and presents a model that breaks free from diagnoses and protocols. Dr. Hayes shares how he uses principles of process as a parent, leader and ally to underrepresented populations in psychology. Take a listen as Dr. Hayes, on his 70th birthday, paints the big picture of a process-based model of psychology that will revolutionize our field as we know it!
Listen and Learn:
- How To Become More Psychologically Flexible
- About Acceptance And Commitment Therapy And The Core Processes Involved In Effective CBT
- How ACT Co-Founder Dr. Steven Hayes Uses ACT Principles In His Own Life
- Heartfelt And Cutting Edge Interview With Dr. Steven Hayes On His 70th Birthday!
About Steven Hayes, Ph.D.
Steven C. Hayes is a Nevada Foundation Professor in the Behavior Analysis program at the Department of Psychology at the University of Nevada. An author of 44 books and nearly 600 scientific articles, he has shown in his research how language and thought leads to human suffering and has guided the development of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, a powerful therapy method that is useful in a wide variety of areas. His popular book Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life was featured in Time Magazine among several other major media outlets and for a time was the best-selling self-help book in the United States. Dr. Hayes has been president of several scientific societies and has received several national awards, such as the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies. Google Scholar data ranks him as among the topmost cited scholars in all areas of study, living and dead.
- Process-Based CBT: The Science and Core Clinical Competencies of Cognitive Behavioral Therapies, by Steven C. Hayes (Eds) and Stefan G. Hofmann (Eds)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Second Edition: The Process and Practice of Mindful Change, Second Edition, by Steven C. Hayes, Kirk D. Strosahl, and Kelly G. Wilson.
- Learn more about ACT through the Association for Contextual Behavioral Sciences
- Attend a Training with Dr. Steven Hayes HERE
- Find an ACT therapist in your area HERE
- 102. A Liberated Mind with Dr. Steven Hayes
- 57. Evolution and Behavioral Science with Dr. Steven Hayes and Dr. David Sloan Wilson