If you think you’re a horrible parent, well, you’re not alone! Thinking we such at parenting seems to be an inherent part of parenting made worse by the pandemic, financial stressors, and general unease we live with. The wise and witty Carla Naumburg joins us to share tools from her latest book, You are Not a Sh*tty Parent. Along with some humor and spicy language, we can self-compassion to better cope with the unavoidable stressors of parenting.
Listen and Learn:
- What is self-compassion and what isn’t it
- How self-compassion differs from being nice
- Why engaging in self-criticism to connect gets us in trouble
- The metaphor of first versus second arrows and how this helps us understand how to better respond to our suffering
- Noticing practices
- Practices to connect to the present
- Practices to connect to common humanity
- Practices of curiosity
Carla Naumburg is an author, clinical social worker, and mother. She’s the author of five non-fiction books, including her international bestseller, How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t With Your Kids as well as You Are Not a Sh*tty Parent. Carla’s writing has appeared in a variety of online and print publications, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, Mindful Magazine, Slate.com, Psychology Today, WBUR’s Cognoscenti Blog, Brain, Child, Motherwell, Parents.com, PsychCentral, and Today Moms.
- Article on the dangers of body positivity: What’s the Difference Between Body Positivity and Body Neutrality?
- Carla’s website
- Book: How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t With Your Kids
- Pre-order You Are Not a Sh*tty Parent here!
- Episode 75. Mindful Self-Compassion with Christopher Germer
- Episode 80. Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics with Jeff Warren
- Episode 113. Self-Compassion for Parents with Susan Pollak
- Episode 129. Yoga for All and Body Kindness with Jennifer Webb
- Episode 149. How Not to Lose it with Your Kids with Carla Naumberg
- Episode 201. Fierce Compassion with Kristin Neff
- Episode 223 Mom Brain Returns with Ilyse Dobrow DiMarco
- Episode 251. Wonder with Frank Keil
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion