It’s not uncommon to have some anxiety about your and others’ health. However, health anxiety, at its worst, can become an overwhelming, life-consuming experience that keeps you from thriving. Millions of people experience health anxiety, and the pandemic has certainly contributed to the recent rise in numbers of people who experience this. Dr. Karen Cassiday, author of Freedom from Health Anxiety, is nationally recognized as an expert clinical psychologist in the diagnosis and treatment of anxiety disorders in children, teens, and adults. In this episode of POTC, Karen and Debbie discuss the common experience of health anxiety, and Karen’s evidence-based methods for approaching it. Join us in this empowering episode for distinctions between normal and problematic health anxiety, practical advice for dealing with catastrophic thinking patterns, and much more, today!
Listen and Learn:
- Debbie and Yael’s thoughts on the pervasive experience of health anxiety
- Dr. Cassiday’s expert opinion on the rise of health anxiety in the general public
- Practical distinctions for when health anxiety is normal vs. when it’s problematic
- Important differences between orthorexia and health anxiety
- Practical advice for dealing with catastrophic thinking patterns about your health
- An expert breakdown of the reassurance seeking cycle
- The importance of function in your health-related behaviors
- Evidence-based strategies for practitioners and patients dealing with health-anxiety
- How Dr. Cassiday uses Exposure and Response Prevention in her work
- The common experience of health anxiety, and new, evidence-based methods for approaching it
- Grab your copy of Karen’s book, Freedom from Health Anxiety: Understand and Overcome Obsessive Worry about Your Health or Someone Else’s and Find Peace of Mind
- Check out Yael and Barry Schwartz’s article on Radical Uncertainty
- Read Barry Schwartz’s Practical Wisdom: The Right Way to Do the Right Thing
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Karen Lynn Cassiday:
Dr. Karen Cassiday is an author and nationally recognized as an expert clinical psychologist in the diagnosis and treatment of anxiety disorders in children, teens and adults. She empowers patients to overcome their struggles with anxiety, compulsions, phobias, social anxiety, worry, and depression. She approaches each patient with enthusiasm, persistence, and a keen sense of humor, crafting individualized, research-based treatment plans for each person. Her goal is to make each patient an expert at managing their own anxiety, so that they can face any future event with confidence and courage. A sought after national speaker on television, radio and at professional training seminars, Dr. Cassiday has appeared as a psychological consultant on Animal Hoarders on TNT and on NBC’s Today Show. Her expertise has been tapped through commentary in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and numerous other publications. Make sure to check out Karen’s book, Freedom from Health Anxiety: Understand and Overcome Obsessive Worry about Your Health or Someone Else’s and Find Peace of Mind.
- Episode 138. Exploring Existence and Purpose: Existentialism with Robyn Walser
- Episode 164. Pandemic Stress: Strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Debbie and Diana
- Episode 244. What You Feel Is Not All There Is with Aprilia West
- Episode 103. Healthy Habits with Dayna Lee-Baggley