In the past decade, online dating has become a multi-billion dollar industry with three in ten adults in the United States claiming to have ever used a dating app. But despite all this dating, experiences of loneliness are on the rise, and three out of five U.S. adults report lacking companionship or feeling left out or poorly understood. Dr. Jenny Taitz, author of How to be Single and Happy, is passionate about helping others live meaningful, value-based lives, regardless of their relationship status. On this episode of POTC, she and Yael discuss the central challenges faced by unhappily single people and evidence-based methods for overcoming them. Join us today for practical advice related to dealing with big emotions in dating, creating long-lasting relationships, dating throughout the life-span, and finding happiness no matter your relationship status!
Listen and learn:
- Katy and Yael discuss living meaningfully even when dating and relationships feel imperfect
- Practical advice for those who are in an unhappy partnership or those who struggle with dating and finding a partner (regardless of your age, gender, or experiences!)
- Dr. Taitz’s personal experience of being unhappily single and her journey to write her book
- Taitz’s expert opinion on if you can be single (not by choice) and happy
- Expert-approved strategies the unhappily single can use to thrive
- Three central challenges faced by the unhappily single and evidence-based practices you can use to unhook yourself from them
- Practical strategies for helping those who feel shame and regret about dating experiences
- Dr. Taitz’s words of wisdom for staying hopeful when you’ve been on the dating scene for a long time
- Problematic emotions that can arise with dating struggles and how to respond to them
- Specific, expert-approved advice for dating when you want to have a child
- The problem of loneliness and how to manage it
- Dr. Taitz’s thoughts on dating apps, meeting people, and starting conversations
- Practical advice on creating long lasting relationships
- How to live well, regardless of your relationship status
- Read Dr. Jenny’s books, End Emotional Eating and How to be Single and Happy!
- Check out Dr. Jenny’s website, and while you’re there, take advantage of her resources!
- Find Jenny’s New York Times pieces here, here, and here
- Read Daniel Pink’s book, The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us Forward.
- Read Matt Haig’s book, The Midnight Library.
- Read Chris Wilson’s book, The Master Plan: My Journey from Life in Prison to a Life of Purpose.
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Jenny Taitz:
Dr. Jenny Taitz, is board certified in cognitive behavioral therapy by the American Board of Professional Psychology and a Diplomate in the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. Dr. Taitz is one of the first psychologists to merit Linehan Board Certification in DBT. She is the founder of LA CBT DBT, a discrete, boutique, private therapy practice prioritizing compassionate, effective, and time-sensitive therapy. Dr. Taitz is grateful to offer secure telehealth appointments to clients residing in New York and California. In her work, she aims to coach her clients to achieve their life goals. Dr. Taitz practices the acceptance and values-based living she teaches and recently ran the LA Marathon (postpartum!) for suicide prevention. Additionally, Dr. Taitz serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at U.C.L.A. and her writing appears in numerous prominent publications including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.
Jenny is the author of End Emotional Eating: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Cope with Difficult Emotions and Develop a Healthy Relationship to Food, an award-winning popular audience book on managing emotions to eat mindfully and live flexibly. Most recently, inspired by her clinical work and research, Dr. Taitz is thrilled to share her new empowering book, How to be Single and Happy: Science-Based Strategies for Keeping Your Sanity While Looking for a Soul Mate.
- Episode 168. Everyday Conversations: How Conversational Style Impacts Relationships with Deborah Tannen
- Episode 179. How to Be An Adult in Relationships with Dave Richo
- Episode 217. Redefining Rich with Shannon Hayes
- Episode 126. Surviving Break-Ups and Divorce: How to Mend a Broken Heart, with Yael and Debbie
- Episode 227. The Science of Happy with Sonja Lyubomirsky
- Episode 237. Farewell to Diana Hill: Appreciations, Regrets and Hopes
- Episode 244. What You Feel Is Not All There Is with Aprilia West
- Episode 248. Let’s Talk About Sex & Intimacy with Zoë Kors
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion