Friends, family, and loved ones can be excellent resources when you need to vent or problem solve. However, if you’ve ever found yourself stuck in a story or a pattern of uncomfortable or unwanted thoughts, feelings, behaviors, or situations, it might be time to seek out some professional help. On this episode of POTC, Jill talks with Lori Gottlieb, author of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, about the stories we tell and how they impact us. Listen in to this episode to learn some practical ways to get unhooked from aversive stories and patterns (even if you’re not quite ready to talk to someone) today!
Listen and Learn:
- Yael and Debbie discuss the intersections between ACT and Lori’s work
- Why and how we can be unreliable narrators of our own stories
- Lori’s hopes for the impact of her book on readers
- How Lori packed so much benefit into her book without making readers feel as though they’re in therapy
- Practical ways to start changing (even if you’re not quite ready for therapy)
- The impact of Lori’s book (and its accompanying workbook) on herself
- Read Lori’s book, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone and use the accompanying workbook, Maybe You Should Talk To Someone: The Workbook!
- Check out Lori’s podcast, Dear Therapists podcast
- Listen to Lori’s TED Talk
- Read Lori’s advice column, Dear Therapist advice column
- Grab your copy of ACT Daily Journal at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych
- Check out Debbie, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Lori Gottlieb:
Lori Gottlieb is a psychotherapist and New York Times bestselling author of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, which has sold over a million copies and is currently being adapted as a television series. In addition to her clinical practice, she is co-host of the popular “Dear Therapists” podcast produced by Katie Couric and writes The Atlantic’s weekly “Dear Therapist” advice column. She is a sought-after expert in media such as The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, CNN, and NPR’s “Fresh Air” and her recent TED Talk was one of the Top 10 Most Watched of the Year. She is the creator of the new Maybe You Should Talk To Someone Workbook: A Toolkit for Editing Your Story and Changing Your Life. Learn more at LoriGottlieb.com or by following her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Episode 234. The Power of Us with Dominic Packer
- Episode 224. The Sweet Spot with Paul Bloom
- Episode 228. Heart Medicine with Radhule Weininger
- Episode 192. Happier With Tal Ben-Shahar