The U.S. Surgeon General recently released a rare advisory to the public, warning us about an ongoing youth mental health crisis. His 53-page report discusses historical mental health concerns as well as new, pandemic-related impacts on the mental health of children, adolescents, and young adults. Alice Kearney has over twenty five years of experience as a licensed therapist working with individuals aged 5 to 75. Much like the Surgeon General, she, too, has long been concerned about children’s and families’ rising mental health needs. On this episode of POTC, she and Jill discuss resiliency and how it lends itself to treating and, importantly, preventing mental health crises for youth. Join us in this episode to learn an expert definition of resiliency, common misconceptions about the construct, and practical strategies for improving your kids’ (and your own) resiliency today!
Listen and Learn:
- Debbie and Jill’s thoughts on the current state of youth mental health
- Alice’s definition of resilience
- Why and how resilience looks differently for each of us
- What it takes to foster resilience in children
- Common misconceptions about resilience
- Practical skills you can teach your kids to improve their resiliency (and your own) right now!
- Evidence-based, expert-approved strategies for helping your kids calm down
- Alice’s step-by-step guide to the Bounce Box, her educational and therapeutic kit for raising resiliency in children
- When and why the Bounce Box might be useful for you as a parent, teacher, or therapist
- Check out Alice’s Bounce Box, a fun educational and therapeutic kit that raises resiliency in children!
- Read the U.S. Surgeon General’s youth mental health advisory for 2021
- Watch Dr. Will Flannary’s (i.e., Dr. Glaucomflecken’s) hilarious TikToks about the healthcare system
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
- Sign up for Jill’s on demand ACT course for therapists (with 6 CEUs)
- Sign up for Diana’s online course in Foundations of ACT for the general public
Alice Kearney has over twenty five years of experience as a licensed therapist. She has worked in clinics, schools and hospitals. About 15 years ago she opened a full time private practice outside of Boston at Hope Floats Healing and Wellness Center. She is both a licensed mental health counselor and registered art therapist. She works with people from about five to seventy five years old. She is positive, strength based and often uses art and the creative process to help her clients gain insight and healing.
Concerned about children’s and families’ rising mental health needs, Alice created the Bounce Box, a fun educational and therapeutic kit that raises resiliency in children. The Bounce Box came to life in the pandemic. It has a five star rating and rave reviews. You can check it out it online at the following link: https://bounce-box.com.
- Episode 25. Resilience: Bouncing Back After Difficulty with Debbie and Rae
- Episode 78. The Self-Driven Child with William Stixrud
- Episode 205. Thrivers with Michele Borba
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion