One in four pregnancies end in loss. Pregnancy loss and infertility fundamentally shake our core beliefs about ourselves, our bodies, and our future. Many individuals, couples and families face reproductive trauma and yet this common experience is something that is so rarely talked about. In honor of infant and pregnancy loss month, Diana Hill talks with Sunita Osborn, a clinical psychologist and expert in reproductive trauma about strategies to navigate the loss and unpredictability of infertility, miscarriage and stillbirth. If you or someone you care about has experienced reproductive trauma, please join us in raising awareness by listening and sharing this episode.
Listen and Learn:
- What is reproductive trauma and it’s common symptoms
- The role that shame plays in infertility and pregnancy loss
- What is disenfranchised grief and how it impacts the recovery process
- Strategies to approach grief including telling your story, journaling, and creating rituals
- How reproductive trauma may impact the non-birthing partner
- The rainbow in grief and loss
- Sign up for the From Striving to Thriving Summit
- Buy Anne’s book, The Mama Sutra: A Story of Love, Loss and Motherhood!
- Check out the podcast Life After Miscarriage by Shelly Mettling
- Listen to The Miscarriage Hope Desk podcast by Laura Bauder
- Look into Postpartum Support International
- Visit itsbodily.com for free resources related to Women’s Bodies and Maternal Health
- Read The Miscarriage Map Workbook: An Honest Guide to Navigating Pregnancy Loss, Working Through the Pain and Moving Forward by Sunita Osborn
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Sunita Osborn:
Sunita Osborn, PsyD, MA, is a licensed clinical psychologist who practices in Houston, Texas and works with adults and couples. Known as an expert on the treatment of pregnancy loss, Dr. Osborn specializes in reproductive psychology and helps individuals and couples in all phases of the reproductive journey. Dr. Osborn has been featured and interviewed on several different media outlets including NPR, With Whit, Psychology Today, and several miscarriage-focused platforms such as, “The Miscarriage Map: What to Expect When You are no Longer Expecting” and, “The Miscarriage Map Workbook: An Honest Guide to Navigating Pregnancy Loss, Working Through the Pain, and Moving Forward.”
- Episode 117. Bearing Unbearable Loss: A conversation about grief with Joanne Cacciatore
- Episode 97. The New Happiness with Matthew McKay
- Episode 137. The Complexities of Motherhood with Daphne de Marneffe
- Episode 104. You’re Doing It Wrong with Bethany Johnson and Margaret Quinlan
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion