In recent years, mindfulness has become a buzzword in Western culture. A recent study by the CDC found that mindfulness was the fastest growing trend in complementary healthcare, and more than merely a buzzword, mindfulness is currently a multibillion dollar industry. Deirdre Fay, author of Becoming Safely Embodied, has dedicated her career to exploring the intersection of trauma, attachment, and yoga and meditation. In this episode of POTC, Diana and Deirdre discuss her radically positive approach to healing trauma and provide practical strategies for becoming safely embodied. Join us in this episode for real-time yoga practices, evidence-based mindfulness skills, and more!
Listen and Learn:
- Diana and Debbie discuss different approaches to connecting to our bodies and emotions
- Deirdre’s personal experience becoming safely embodied and expert definition of what that means
- The evidence-based skills involved in Deirdre’s skills-based approach to embodiment
- How Deirdre cultivates a sense of belonging (and why this is so important!)
- Seven fundamental attachment needs and practical advice on fulfilling them
- Real-time yoga practices to become more safely embodied
- The evidence behind physicalization
- Diana and Deirdre’s experiences integrating practice into their personal lives
- Mindfulness, the risks involved, and how to mediate them
- Grab a copy of Deirdre’s books, Becoming Safely Embodied, Attachment-Based Yoga, & Meditation for Trauma Recovery
- Attend Diana’s Values-Rich Living Retreat!
- Attend Diana’s Weekly, FREE, Live Online Talk and Meditation
- Read Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nester
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Deirdre Fay:
Deirdre Fay, MSW, has decades of experience exploring the intersection of trauma, attachment, yoga and meditation, and teaches “a radically positive approach to healing trauma”. Deirdre’s most recent book, Becoming Safely Embodied became a best-seller before it was published. It’s based on the BSE groups she started in 1996 and continues to lead online. She is also the author of Attachment-Based Yoga & Meditation for Trauma Recovery, co-author of Attachment Disturbances for Adults, as well as the co-author of chapters in Neurobiological Treatments of Traumatic Dissociation. A former supervisor at The Trauma Center, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute trainer from 2000–2008, certified in Internal Family Therapy, qualified trainer in Mindful Self-Compassion, former board member of the New England Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation, and trained in Self-Awakening Yoga and LifeForce Yoga, Deirdre is a respected international teacher and mentor for working safely with the body. She currently resides in France.
- Episode 53. Yoga For Trauma With Deirdre Fay
- Episode 129. Yoga for All and Body Kindness with Jennifer Webb
- Episode 15 (Part 1) and Episode 16 (Part 2) of Embodiment
- Episode 37. Post-Traumatic Growth with Diana and Debbie
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion