In 2020, the global market for anti-aging products was estimated at US$52.5 Billion and is projected to reach US$83.2 Billion by 2027. Some of this market is certainly due to ageism, pseudoscience, and harmful marketing practices. However, ideas around aging (and the way it’s portrayed in media and marketing) seem to be changing for the better, and some anti-aging techniques are showing great promise. Dr. Andrew Steele, author of Ageless, has dedicated his professional career to identifying factors that age us. In this episode of Psychologists Off the Clock, he and Diana discuss the science behind why we grow old and the evidence-based approaches individuals of all ages can use to target those aging factors. Join us in this episode to learn basic strategies you can implement to inhibit the aging process and enhance your quality of life today!
Listen and Learn:
- Diana and Debbie’s thoughts on the pseudoscience and fear that typically fosters ageism and the evidence-based approaches to healthy aging
- Andrew’s expert description of the humanitarian science of aging (and why it’s so important we study this right now!)
- Ten key factors that contribute to aging and evidence-based ways to target them
- What evolutionary neglect is and why we have evolved to grow old
- Andrew’s expert explanation of senescent cells and practical advice for targeting them
- Basic strategies you can implement today to inhibit the aging process and enhance your quality of life
- New and incoming interventions designed to increase telomere length
- The psychological impacts of living longer
- The values underlying Andrew’s mission of building respectful, supportive communities for the elderly
- Easy anti-aging practices young people can implement into their daily routine
- Andrew’s book, Ageless: The New Science of Getting Older Without Getting Old
- Elizabeth Blackburn and Elissa Epel’s book, The Telomere Effect: A Revolutionary Approach to Living Younger, Healthier, Longer
- Attend Debbie’s webinar on ACT for Burnout!
- Grab your copy of all our favorite books at bookshop.org/shop/offtheclockpsych.
- Check out Debbie, Diana, Yael, and Jill’s websites to access their offerings, sign up for their newsletters, buy their books, and more!
About Andrew Steele:
After obtaining a PhD in physics from the University of Oxford, Dr. Andrew Steele decided that ageing was the most important scientific challenge of our time, and switched fields to computational biology. He worked at the Francis Crick Institute, using machine learning to decode our DNA and predict heart attacks using patients’ medical records. He is now a full-time science writer and presenter based in London. He has appeared on Discovery and the BBC. Follow him on instagram @andrewjsteele, twitter @statto, and facebook @DrAndrewSteele. Read his Psychology Today interview, and check out his Today Show appearance
- Episode 125. Why We Age and the Science of Longevity with David Sinclair
- Episode 13. Healthy Aging and the Brain
- Episode 194. How to Be (and raise) an Adult with Julie Lythcott-Haims
- Episode 174. How to Work and Parent Mindfully with Lori Mihalich-Levin