Our mission at Psychologists Off the Clock is to bring evidence-based psychological treatments and practices to the public. One of our favorite treatments is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (or ACT, pronounced as one word).
In this episode, ACT experts, authors, and POTC co-hosts Diana and Debbie discuss how you can use ACT to get unstuck and thrive! Diana and Debbie’s new book, ACT Daily Journal: Get Unstuck and Live Fully with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, breaks ACT processes and strategies down into simple, fun, and actionable steps. Yael chats with Debbie and Diana about how you can start implementing ACT strategies into your life starting today.
Join the conversation to learn ACT as a beginner or to beef up your existing ACT toolbox!
Listen and Learn:
- POTC’s resident Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) experts’ definition and break down of this therapeutic approach
- All about Diana and Debbie’s book and how it can help you thrive in your own life. here and now
- Debbie and Diana’s personal experiences with ACT, writing, and the development of their book
- Practical advice on fostering psychological flexibility and building value-based habits into your day
- Why this book is different than any other book you’ll find on ACT
- How Diana and Debbie packed empirical, evidence-based information into digestible, bite-sized stories and exercises for the ultimate ACT-informed self-help book
- Practical advice for folks who feel they might lack the discipline to engage in self-help work
- Why self-compassion is so important to building psychological flexibility
- Some examples of the six core ACT processes in action
- Why it’s so challenging to be present and expert-approved tips and tricks to engage in present-moment awareness
- The personal elements Debbie and Diana (including insider information on the egg-related stories that got cut)
- About some of the biggest challenges you might face when putting ACT processes into practices
- A goodie for you! Diana and Debbie each read a vignette to give you a taste of what’s inside their book!
Make sure to grab a copy of Debbie and Diana’s book, ACT Daily Journal: Get Unstuck and Live Fully with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and join the Facebook group to get active in learning and discussing: https://www.facebook.com/ACTDailyJournal
And if you’d like to win a free copy of their book, make sure to enter our book giveaway! To enter, write us a review on Apple Podcasts and send us an email (with “Book Giveaway” in the subject line) letting us know you did so at email@example.com.
For more information about ongoing and upcoming giveaways, follow us on Instagram at @offtheclockpsych.
About Dr. Diana Hill and Dr. Debbie Sorensen:
Dr. Diana Hill specializes in evidence-based and compassion-focused approaches to living well. She helps her clients build a values-rich life and unpacks the science of ACT through the cutting-edge podcast Psychologists Off the Clock, online teachings, and her book ACT Daily Journal: Get Unstuck and Live Fully with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, co-authored with Dr. Debbie Sorensen.
Dr. Debbie Sorensen is a psychologist in private practice in Denver, Colorado with a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Anthropology from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and a Ph.D. in Psychology from Harvard University. In addition to private practice, Debbie works part-time as a clinical research psychologist at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center and is a nationally-recognized VA trainer in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Make sure to grab a copy of her book, ACT Daily Journal: Get Unstuck and Live Fully with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, co-authored with Dr. Diana Hill.
- Episode 41. Kissing The Frog: How To Establish a Morning Routine with Diana and Debbie
- Episode 75. Mindful Self-Compassion with Christophe Germer
- Episode 77. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Jill Stoddard
- Episode 128. ACT for Food Restriction and Anorexia with Rhonda Merwin
- Episode 138. Exploring Existence and Purpose: Existentialism with Robyn Walser
- Episode 164. Pandemic Stress: Strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy with Debbie and Diana
- Episode 183. Permission to Feel: Emotional Intelligence with Marc Brackett
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
E-Book PDF (transcript): Open in New Window | Download
Join the discussion