Working parenthood is hard, and even the most Instagram-perfect parents and professionals have their fair share of tears, overwhelm, guilt, and anxiety. Though there are no simple solutions, learning how to work and parent more mindfully can help you build greater success and have more joy. Join our conversation with Lori Mihalich-Levin, author of Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave, founder of Mindful Return, and Working Mother Magazine’s “working mama guru.” Lori talks with co-host Yael about the ins and outs of mindful working parenthood. When you tune in, you’ll learn tips that can help you work and parent more successfully and more joyfully, even in the face of the day-to-day challenges working parents experience. So go ahead and snuggle your nearest kiddo while you learn how to more mindfully enjoy your baby and your career!
Listen and Learn:
- What motivates Lori and her personal tips on how to take on the impossible in work and parenting
- Why companies fail to retain women after they have children
- How to be a psychologically flexible working parent
- About the strategies Lori uses in her personal life to navigate parenting, her career, and her sanity
- What mindfulness is, what it involves, and how to be mindful in your own life
- Recommendations for parents who struggle with the guilt that often accompanies juggling multiple roles
- How to plan effectively (even if you aren’t a self-proclaimed planning nerd like Lori!)
- Why boundaries are necessary and how you can establish them
- Lori’s tips for using your parenting skills to become a more effective leader at work
- How to build community, and why you should
- About the importance of passion projects for your work as a parent and your work at work!
- About Lori’s work in diversifying her Mindful Return courses to meet the needs of more individuals, including dads and parents of children with special needs
Work, Parenting, and Mindfulness Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Lori’s Mindful Return Program (and the mom-specific, dad-specific, and parents of children with special needs versions, as well as a course for employers)
- Lori’s book, Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave
- The Free Meditation App – Insight Timer
- Emily Oster’s book, Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
- Lori’s podcast, Parents at Work
- Parenting in a Pandemic support groups for moms and dads
About “Working Mama Guru” Lori Mihalich-Levin, JD
Lori is the founder of Mindful Return, author of Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave, and creator of the Mindful Return Maternity Leave E-Course. She is mama to two wonderful red-headed boys (ages 7 and 9), is the co-host of the Parents at Work Podcast, and is a partner in the health care practice at Dentons US LLP. Her passion is empowering new parents by providing them with the strategies and tools they need to be present with their babies and in their careers. Lori’s work has appeared in the New York Times Parenting, The Washington Post, Thrive Global, and The Huffington Post. And just recently, she was featured in The Female CEO Magazine.
Lori holds a law degree from the Georgetown University Law Center and completed her undergraduate studies at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. She has been committed to promoting women’s equality and leadership throughout her career. Most recently, she founded and Co-Chaired for two years Dentons’ Parent Professional Network (now ParentsLEAD). In her prior job, she founded both the Returning to Work Community (RWC) for mothers at Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) who return to work from maternity leave and a D.C. Health Policy Lean in Circle. As an undergraduate at Princeton, she wrote her thesis on immigrant women in France who were victims of domestic violence. At Georgetown Law, she was the co-President of the Women’s Legal Alliance and represented clients through the Domestic Violence Clinic. To learn more about all of Lori’s work, please visit her website, MindfulReturn.com.
- Episode 24. Choosing Both: Straddling Meaningful Career and Parenthood with Dr. Yael Schonbrun
- Episode 58. Balancing the Big Stuff with Drs. Miriam Liss and Holly Schiffrin
- Episode 87. Cribsheet with Dr. Emily Oster
- Episode 166. How to Manage Multiple Life Roles Skillfully with Sarah Argenal
- Episode 137. The Complexities of Motherhood with Daphne de Marneffe