In his TEDx talk, Michael Herold, public speaker, confidence coach, and podcaster extraordinaire, says, “Things you will achieve in your life, you will achieve because of your disability, not in spite of it.” In this week’s episode of Psychologists Off the Clock, Michael talks with Debbie and Yael about confidence, self-doubt, and overcoming limitations.
Limitations are all around us. These might be thoughts about how unqualified we are, feelings of anxiety, or even physical disabilities such as spinal muscular atrophy, but Michael Herold has some good news. We can overcome the limitations that come from our own heads, by taking Comfort Zone Challenges! Join us in this episode to learn about how to work with those limitations, instead of against them, to achieve the life you want.
The Psychologists Off the Clock are excited to welcome Michael aboard as our new Strategic Consultant. Join us to for this episode to meet Michael and learn about our new team member!
Listen and Learn
- How to build confidence and step outside your comfort zone
- About Michael’s transition from animator to public speaker, coach, and podcaster
- Why Acceptance and Commitment Therapy resonates with Michael and how it changed his life
- How Michael’s disability, spinal muscular atrophy, has shaped his unique perspective
- How you can use values to overcome your limitations
- About motivational porn and the microaggressions we often use when discussing people who have ‘overcome’ disability-related limitations
- Why it’s so important to connect with people and how to do that
- Inside information on how Coach Michael works to build his clients’ confidence
- Tips and tricks from the master himself on how to build your own confidence
Resources from this Podcast Episode
- Michael’s TEDx talk
- Michael’s website
- Michael’s podcast: The Art of Charm
- The Art of Charm Podcast’s Episode featuring Michael
- The Art of Charm Podcast’s Core Confidence Program
- Viktor Frankl’s Book: Man’s Search for Meaning
- Michael’s Short Film “When I grow up”
- All of Michael’s short animated films
About Michael Herold
Early in his life, doctors told Michael Herold’s parents that his severe disability would keep him from living a normal life. The doctors were right. Michael’s life has been anything but normal. In fact, he is quite a renaissance man. For over a decade, Michael was a successful animator for Nickelodeon and worked on a variety of shows including Penguins of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda. He currently does public speaking around the world and has recently spoken in front of parliament and given a TEDx talk. Michael also uses skills and exercises from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to provide coaching on a variety of life-skills including public speaking, self-doubt, communication, and, primarily, confidence. Visit Michael’s website to find out more!
- Episode 91. Disability as a Form of Diversity with Dr. Erin Andrews
- Episode 169. Microaggressions, Mental Health Disparities, and Racial Trauma with Monnica Williams
- Episode 102. A Liberated Mind with Dr. Steven Hayes
- Episode 72. Committed Action with Dr. DJ Moran
- Episode 32. Social Connection: Exploring Loneliness and Building Intimacy